Brownwood Regional Medical Center officials, community and civic leaders and former patients gathered on June 26 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the opening of the Walker Cancer Center in Brownwood.
The Brownwood and Early Chambers of Commerce held a joint ribbon cutting ceremony to commemorate the event and to display the newest upgrade of the Linear Accelerator.
The Walker Cancer Center was named in honor of a long time physician James B.N. Walker who practiced in Brownwood and surrounding area from 1934 until his retirement in 1968.
Walker Cancer Center is the only facility within an 80 mile radius that offers both Radiation & Medical Oncology services. After a recent upgrade to Linear Accelerator, IGRT or Image Guided Radiation Therapy is now offered. The upgrade provides a newer treatment service and the staff is pleased to be able to offer this to their patients.
Since 1994 Walker Cancer Center has provided over 24,000 Chemotherapy Treatments utilizing 6 Chemotherapy Suites and over 96,000 Radiation Treatments with the Linear Accelerator.
There are currently 18 staff members including Radiation Oncologist – Allan Cass, MD who has practiced at BRMC Walker Cancer Center since July 2001 and & Medical/Hematology Oncologist- Victor Hirsch, MD who has been practiced at BRMC since February of this year. Dr. Hirsch previously practiced at the Abilene Cancer Centers.
Pictured are Walker Cancer Center staff cutting the ribbon with Brownwood and Early Chambers of Commerce ambassadors.